Learning how to stretch properly can help improve movement and avoid injury!
Arm and Shoulder Stretches
- Arm behind the head (Tricep muscle/Shoulder)
- Arm across chest (Shoulder)
- Arms together behind the back (Shoulders/Chest)
- Arm circles (Shoulders)
Leg and Hip Stretches
- Figure 4 stretch (Calf/Hamstring)
- Butterfly (Hips)
- Knee hug (Quad)
- Ankle grab stretch (Hamstring)
Core and Back Stretches
- Downward dog yoga position (Lower back)
- Stationary twist stretch (Upper/Lower back)
- Prayer stretch
Stretching before and after exercise increases flexibility. Increasing flexibility avoids injury, because it loosens the muscles. Stretching is not just for athletes; I highly encourage stretching for any person--young or old--if they are active!
Modifications can be made for people with disabilities and injuries. Leave any questions you have in the comments below. I want to make sure these are done safely! Thank you!