Finally, a game!
Mollie Protzman interviewed me for her blog post Energizing Kids with Exercise Games that focused on different games to get kids active. Here is another idea when being outside isn't accessible, or even if you're just sitting in the living room for an evening.
DEAL OR NO DEAL
This game is relatively simple. Below will be a file with examples of exercises you can do with no equipment. All exercises work different types of muscles, and if you like, I highly encourage doing the exercises with your child! Demonstrate the exercises first to make the game smoother! If there is any confusion, please leave comments below, and I can definitely help out!
- 3x5 notecards, or something similar, paper cut into little cards…etc.
- Space necessary to move safely
- Create your own notecards with exercises written on them, or use the handy notecards Mollie created for her blog.
- Then put all your cards into a hat, bucket, or something similar. When the player draws a card, it will have an exercise on it. Then, the player can choose Deal or No Deal.
- If choosing Deal, they can lead you or a group in the exercise.
- If choosing No Deal, they must play a round of Rock-Paper-Scissors.
- Upon victory - they get out of doing that exercise (modification: alternate exercise).
- Upon defeat - they must still do the exercise.
Modifications can be made for people with disabilities and injuries. Any questions should be left in the comments below, and I can definitely help to make sure these are done safely! Thank you!