It is so inspiring to see families volunteer together giving back to their communities. This year on ParentSavvy, we are excited to begin 12 Months of Giving, where we will highlight activities families can do together throughout the year to help others.
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'" - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The third Monday in January is the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service, bringing awareness to the awesome spirit of volunteerism and hoping to encourage individuals and families to get involved and serve others.
Ideas for Serving Together as a Family
- Donate gently used clothing, books, or toys
- Volunteer to help serve a meal at a local shelter, Ronald McDonald House, or Rainbow House
- Decorate cards or placemats and deliver to a nursing home
- Purchase food together and donate to a food bank
- Project Linus: Make blankets to provide love, security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill or traumatized.
- Write a letter to those in the military thanking them for their service through A Million Thanks
- Commit to practicing random acts of kindness regularly
Other Helpful Resources
- Local Opportunities for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
- United Way of the Midlands Volunteer Database - searchable database for local volunteer opportunities including Open Door Mission, Together, Heartland Family Service, and many more.
Make this Martin Luther King, Jr. Day the beginning or continuation of a family tradition to giving to others. Together, we can all make a difference!
Where are your favorite places to volunteer with your family?