I am excited to continue 12 Months of Giving, where I am highlighting activities families can do together throughout the year to help others. In celebration of Valentine's Day, here are few simple but meaningful ways families can share the love and joy this February.
[email protected] with Community 360°
Join in this very easy and fun project with your kids and give back this Valentine's Day! Participate in [email protected] with Community 360° and help make Valentines for the people living and working in nursing homes in Omaha! To make Valentines:
- Use 8 ½ by 11 inch paper. Be creative! Keep the text simple and easy to read.
- Send your cards to Community 360°, P.O. Box 3301, Omaha, NE 68103.
To help deliver Valentines:
- Come to St. Joseph Tower Assisted Living Community on Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9 a.m. (You may even see Casey, the mascot from the Omaha Storm Chasers.)
- Pick up Valentines and drive to the facility and personally distribute the Valentines to each worker and resident. (Each bundle has the name, address, and phone number of the facility.)
- Email Community 360º a short account of your experience.
International Book Giving Day
Their focus is on encouraging people worldwide to give a book to a child on February 14th! Individuals or families are invited to: 1) gift a book to a friend or family member, 2) leave a book in a waiting room for children to read 3) donate a gently used book to a local library, hospital or shelter or to an organization that distributes used books to children in need internationally. Find out more about International Book Giving Day here!
Other Family Ideas
- Create simple handmade Valentine's cards to share with your children's teacher, classmates, neighbors, and friends.
- Adopt-A-Family for Valentine's Day! There are many programs around the holidays, but not as many the rest of the year. Continue the giving spirit by purchasing and donating new toys or games for a family.
- Create and sends cards to our nation's military through Hugs for Soldiers, P. O. Box 2887, Duluth, GA 30096.
- Donate clothes and household goods to a local charity.
- Put together coupon books that children can give to parents or grandparents with coupons such as playing a game together, helping dust or clean a room, or helping fold laundry like these Love Tickets!
- Find many more ideas in 100 acts of kindness that you can do with your kids and a free printable from Coffee Cups and Crayons!
Where are your favorite places to volunteer with your family?