My 7 month old baby has being coughing for 2 weeks
My 7 month old baby has being coughing for 2 weeks now and she's losing weight.
She is teething already and seriously coughing at night.
I am worried - what should I do?
Emily Bendlin | Pediatrician
Coughing is an important reflex that helps protect by:
- preventing us from breathing harmful materials into our airway and lungs
- clearing out our airway of mucus or foreign materials
It is normal for children to have an occasional cough, but coughing can also be a sign of illness or medical condition.
Call your doctor if your baby has:
- Any cough, and she's younger than 4 months.
- A dry cough related to a cold (a runny nose but no fever) that lasts more than five to seven days.
- A dry or wet cough with a cold and a fever of 100 degrees or more.
- A cough accompanied by fast breathing or difficulty breathing
- Developed a cough after he/she had a choking episode
If a child has been coughing for 2 weeks, regardless of their age, they need to be seen to help determine the underlying cause and if further workup or treatment is necessary.Read more answers by Dr. Bendlin