Reading to Kids Helps Their Development
Research shows that reading regularly to young children is central to their overall growth and development. Reading provides:
- Time for special attention between parent and child
- Encourages the child's later reading success
- Fosters language and speech development
The following are tips for reading to your children.
Pick what you both enjoy
Look for books you both love:
- Ask friends, teachers or librarians
- Look for award-winning books
- Check book reviews
- Have your children pick out their own books
Get your child involved
- Point out objects in the pictures as you read
- Look for activity books that let the child participate
- Have your child help turn the pages
Follow the words with your finger so your child develops a sense that the words go from left to right.
Slowing down the pace will let your child keep up with the ideas presented in the story.
Look for repetition or rhymes in the stories.
What We're Saying On Facebook
- Eliminate thumb sucking and other bad habits. http://bit.ly/101deh6
- Did you catch the Spring Cleaning blog on Omaha Family Magazine's blog? http://...
- May is Healthy Family Nutrition and Fitness month for ParentSavvy. Check out the...
- Nurse. Chef. Photographer. Counselor. Chauffeur. Cheerleader. Hair Dresser. Book...
- How will you be celebrating Mother's Day?
- Our friends at Moms of Omaha have a great list of Mother's Day activities happen...
- How do you celebrate Mother's Day? Mollie writes about her Mother's Day traditio...
- Oh no, the dreaded Temper Tantrums. Read Mollie's latest post at Omaha Family Ma...
- Amalia shares Bastian's birth story on her blog. http://bit.ly/18scwMS
- Mollie writes about the Potty Training phase in her latest blog post at Omaha Fa...
- Ask an Expert: Poor Sleep Causing Moodiness in 9-year-old http://bit.ly/YZPl5H
- If you like us on Facebook, you should follow us on Pinterest too :) http://bit...
- Living with and Managing Your Child's Asthma http://bit.ly/ZpC0az
- Newborn's Placenta May Predict Autism Risk http://bit.ly/ZA8srP
- Happy May Day!
- Check out Molly's latest blog post - It's Date Time. http://bit.ly/15MB6J1
- Early Exposure to Gluten May Help Babies Avoid Celiac Risk http://bit.ly/YZIg54
- Welcome to Monday! Hope you all have a great week!
- Home Remedies Blog - Feeling Bad? Put these Onions on Your Ears and Drink Some V...
- If you missed the cold and allergy web chat last week, you can read the whole tr...
- Any big plans for this beautiful weekend?
- Our wonderful blogger Amalia gave birth to her little boy earlier this week! We...
- ParentSavvy Expert Dr. Walenz answers the question, why do toddlers bite. http:...
- Milk Allergy Diet for Children http://bit.ly/Zy8tYx
- Egg Allergy Diet for Children http://bit.ly/15mLZkt
- Dr. Greg Severson and Dr. Carey Ertz are answering your cold and allergy questio...
- The cold and allergy web chat is happening right now! Ask your questions of our...
- The cold and allergy web chat is taking place today at noon! http://bit.ly/12...
- Watch Out for Food Allergies http://bit.ly/173Jq4P